Tuesday 3 November 2015

Sources of Evil- Lord Buddha

According to tradition, the attainment of illumination by Gotama was marked by the revelation of “the chains of causation” (Twelve Nidānas). The problem which tormented him for many years was solved. Meditating from cause to effect, Gotama revealed the source of evil:
Existence is pain, because it contains old age, death and myriads of pains.
I suffer because I am born.
I am born because I belong to the world of existence.
I exist because I nourish existence within me.
I nurture existence because I have desires.
I have desires because I have sensations.
I have sensations because I come in touch with the outer world.
This touch is produced by the action of my six senses.
My senses are manifested because being a personality I oppose myself to the impersonal.
I am a personality because I have a consciousness imbued with the consciousness of this personality.
This consciousness was created as a consequence of my former existences.
These existences obscured my consciousness because I had no knowledge.
-Helena Roerich, Foundations of Buddhism

No comments:

Post a Comment